- Located less than 2 kilometres away from Torredonjimeno, this chapel holds the image of Virgin de la Consolacion, the patron saint of the town.
- Around the year 1450 the image of the Virgin was found inside a nearby cave. Diego Lopez de Pacheco prayed to her before his battle with the Muslim army.
- After winning the battle, Diego Lopez de Pacheco commissioned the building of the present chapel on the site of the previous one.
- It’s got a cross plan and it is made of just one nave. The sacristy is in gothic style and in the quarry facade two bodies can be distinguished, there is an niche with an image of the Virgin on the top one.
More about this place…
This chapel is one of the emblems of Torredonjimeno, because it holds the image of Virgin de la Consolacion, the patron saint of the town. It was built in the 15th century not far from the cave where the image of the Virgin was found, to which Diego Lopez Pacheco prayed before his victory over the Muslim army. It was later on refurbished in the 17th century. Visigoth remains had been found inside leading us to think that it might have been originally founded in the 7th century. Every 8th September the Chapel is a pilgrimage destination.